Fridley, Minnesota, United States
Oct 01, 2019
Careers that Change Lives:
Engineers and Scientists create our market-leading portfolio of innovations. Join us to make a lasting impact. Help bring the next generation of life-changing medical technology to patients worldwide.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
The Senior Scientist is a Mechanical testing subject matter expert in a laboratory that supports both QC lot release and RD projects across multiple business units in Medtronic. Provide technical leadership in the mechanical area in support of high through put production deadlines. Support implementation of new technology and developmental projects to meet customer needs. Complex problem solver that can identify test gapes and facilitate updates to test methods to mitigate risks.
A Day in the Life:
• Develop, qualify and implement new mechanical tests for use on leads and components for a variety of parts throughout multiple business units in Medtronic.
• Install, validate, and characterize new and existing test equipment within the Chemical Technologies Laboratory.
• Communicate with engineering/material teams to insource novel testing to Chemical Technologies.
• Purchase and Develop IQ/OQ protocols/reports for new Mechanical Testing equipment.
• Perform statistical analyses of validation and gage RR studies on test equipment.
• Clearly communicate testing plans / results to project teams and other cross-functional groups.
• Provide work direction to technicians
• Assist in general laboratory activities, QS regulations, audit preparation, laboratory documentation needs
• Proven track record of complex problem solving
• Knowledge of Mechanical Systems and associated software and testing components (TestWorks, Test Suites etc).
• Strong collaboration and influence skills (build relationships, leverage others, align and work towards shared outcome-based goals, understand others’ needs, negotiate for win-win, own the whole)
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
+ Responsible for the initiation, design, development, execution, and implementation of scientific research projects.
+ Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.
+ Plans and executes laboratory research.
+ Maintains substantial knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories and may contribute to scientific literature and conferences.
+ May participate in development of patent applications.
+ May coordinate interdepartmental activities and research efforts.
**Must Have: Minimum Requirements**
+ Bachelors degree in Engineering or Science required
+ Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience
Nice to Have:
• Relevant design or test experience in implantable medical devices
• Hands on Experience with MTS mechanical testing systems
• Knowledge and experience with application of technical principles, theories, and design concepts in implantable product design including product, process, and technology development and evaluation
• Knowledge and experience in engineering mechanics, mechanical design and material processing.
• Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)/Quality System Regulations (QSR).
• Knowledge of FDA, MDD, and CMDR regulations.
• Experience in failure analysis
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically, balancing long and short-term priorities
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.