Senior Mechanical Engineer
Fridley, Minnesota, United States
Mar 07, 2018
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Careers that Change Lives
We value what makes you unique. Be a part of a company that thinks differently to solve problems, make progress, and deliver meaningful innovations.
The Restorative Therapies Group develops life-restoring therapies and healthcare solutions that span the care continuum; integrating technologies and applying clinical and economic evidence to increase patient access, improve efficiency of procedures and deliver successful patient outcomes
As the Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for providing Mechanical engineering support for Neuromodulation system and stim therapy delivery products within the Released Products Engineering organization primarily supporting non-implantable medical devices and related accessories.
You will apply technical expertise towards complex mechanical problems and provides solutions that may require the use of ingenuity and creativity.
Day in the Life:
• Provide mechanical engineering skills to perform detailed design analysis on critical design elements for released product initiatives.
• Lead and support design changes that are primarily mechanical in nature with awareness of non-mechanical interfaces.
• Analyze returns and complaints from the field to determine root cause and propose solutions.
• Evaluate existing fielded products and support design changes that improve manufacturability, quality, reliability, and/or reduce cost.
• Test devices in a global regulated environment including EN60601-1 and FDA requirements.
• Effective member of a cross-functional team including engineering, manufacturing, supply chain, quality, reliability, and regulatory functions to qualify and implement design changes.
• Analyze, update, and maintain Neuromodulation systems and features that meet the expectations and uses of the customer, regulatory agencies, and the business.
• Provide technical leadership in the evaluation and maintenance of released product designs across functional groups.
• Document tradeoffs, rationale, and potential solutions.
• Provide field support to customers and clients for Neuromodulation systems.
• Contribute and build domain knowledge around implantable medical device based systems, their clinical use and application via customer and field visits, literature searches and training.
• Ensure personal understanding of all quality policy/system items that are personally applicable. Follow all work/quality procedures to ensure quality system compliance and high-quality work.
• Travel expectation is 10-15% globally
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
+ Researches, plans, designs, verifies, validates and develops mechanical and/or electromechanical products and systems, such as metals, instruments, controls, plastics, robots, engines, machines and mechanical, resonance, hydraulic or heat transfer systems for production, transmission, measurement, and use of energy.
+ Recommends various technology options or approaches for system, processes, facility or program improvements in terms of safety, performance, efficiency or costs.
+ May be responsible for the transfer from RD to manufacturing.
Must Have: Minimum Qualifications
• B.S./B.A. in an Engineering or similar related field
• 4+ years of experience with Bachelor’s Degree OR
• 2+ years of experience with Master’s Degree
Nice to Have
• BS in Mechanical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering
• Experience debugging issues from fielded products to determine root cause
• Knowledge and experience using DRM/DFSS/Six Sigma.
• Experience with engineering statistical tools/methods such as Minitab, design of experiments (DOE) methodologies, hypothesis testing, capability analysis, measurement systems analysis and other six sigma methods.
• Knowledge of ISO and Quality System Regulation requirements.
• Proven leadership experience via facilitation of a cross-functional team effort. Strong verbal/written communication skills and influence management skills.
• Proven ability to accomplish critical project level objectives in a team environment.
• Experience in facilitation of project level and cross-project activities.
• Experience working cross functionally with manufacturing, supply chain and quality functions.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.